Tuesday 26 April 2016

Appreciate the Weird Stuff (It's All Weird Stuff)


One of the things I love about going to the Cornwall and Area Pop Expo (CAPE) is the weirdness of it. People with wildly eclectic interests find each other here. This weekend, there to celebrate CAPE's second year, I had the strange and wonderful fortune to meet or spend time with not only fellow authors, but comic book artists and sellers, jewelry designers, an entire roller derby team, fabulous steampunk milliner Elaine (of ES Essentials & Co), characters from what seemed like nearly every science fiction show film ever made--from the X-Men's Storm to Indiana Jones--and even a dalek or two. (On a side note, I learned to never again get into a war of words with a dalek.) 

If your imagination ever needs a booster, go to one of these events. It's enriching to see people's passion for their interests made manifest, all the more so when those interests aren't a perfect match with your own, so you can see them through the lens of perspective. 

Meanwhile, I'm grateful I managed to sell a few copies of the Triangulation: Lost Voices (Parsec Ink, 2015) anthology, in which I have a speculative fiction story, "Pacific Standard." Those who didn't buy it nonetheless very patiently listened to my spiel before they meandered away to find a photo op with Chewie or hunt down a deal on Pokemon. 

The weekend was bridged with the Saturday night wedding of the two organizers, Carol and Randy, in true geek style. The bride wore a Wonder Woman costume, the groom was a dapper Spider-Man. Darth Vader gave the bride away. R2D2 was a ring-bearer. Agent Carter officiated. I have honestly never seen anything like it. I admit I teared up. Seems I'm a sucker for super heroes in love.

The entire weekend was a reminder that it's a strange, strange world out there. And that fact is, somehow, very reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crazy / Mad in the Media

I am tremendously grateful for the bits of media interest and promo  Crazy / Mad has received so far, and am reveling in it all while it la...