Monday 1 April 2024

Crazy / Mad Making Its Way to Poetry Readers

I am even more proud of my debut full-length poetry book, Crazy / Mad, now that it is in my hands, a tangible object that exists in the world. Author Michael V. Smith blurbed the book with, "Injecting their poems with great care and intimacy, Dolman concocts a wry irony as medicine for a troubled world."

And awe-inspiring poet Natalie Hanna wrote, "Dolman’s terrific Crazy/Mad tears through the geography of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, deconstructing its Malleus Malleficarum, puzzle-piece-approach to mental health and illuminating the in-between spaces no one discusses aloud. Poems pick-apart symptoms and diagnoses around 'madness' the way one carefully knifes apart a sumptuous Sunday brunch in a too-bright, formal room with others watching, while detritus rains from the rafters just outside."

I am grateful for their and others' kind words. 

I expected launching my first poetry book would be hectic, and it has been! Although Crazy / Mad only came out officially today (April 1, no joke), a box arrived to me just over a week ago.


Which meant my beautiful books (thank you so much to publisher Jeremy Luke Hill for the magnificent cover design) landed in Ottawa just barely in time for my March 24 reading at VERSefest. Thank you to everyone who came out for the packed event, hosted by the charming poet and translator Madeleine Stratford. I felt privileged to read alongside Nduka Otiono and Myriam Legault-Beauregard, and I couldn't have asked for a more welcoming crowd.


Visit this blog in the coming weeks and months for more info about my official launch and other events I'll be part of this spring and summer. In the meantime, please ask your local library to order Crazy / Mad, and get yourself a copy via Gordon Hill or your favourite local bookstore!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crazy / Mad in the Media

I am tremendously grateful for the bits of media interest and promo  Crazy / Mad has received so far, and am reveling in it all while it la...